Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Better Day

I got to teach class again today. The topic was interview and interrogation. Until the Rule of Law program established itself here, an overwhelming number of criminal cases were solved because the defendant would confess – sometimes quite unwillingly, and sometimes wrongfully. The Afghan Constitution gives defendants here, just as in the United States, the right to remain silent and the right to a lawyer. Sometimes, however, defendants were not notified of that right, and the police officers went about making sure that they got a statement. This culture is difficult to overcome, but the program is trying to go about doing that.

I arrived at the class, and the room was alive with robust discussion – almost every officer in the class was participating. Esman kept me informed as to their input, and some of it had to do with not being able to see one case through to its end. At some point, the officers turn the cases over to their superiors, and sometimes, the cases just disappear. They are frustrated with that, as I would be. They also talked about how certain people, such as police officers and officers of the court, are required to report a crime that they have knowledge of within 24 hours; however a regular person is not required by law to report any crime except a crime against internal or external security. So what happens when a person wants to turn informant for a price, but the police don’t have the money? All the problems they discussed were practical problems, and I could tell that they were all conscientious officers wanting to do a good job.

One of the questions they asked me had to do with telling the defendant he/she has a right to remain silent. “What about the rights of the victim?,” one officer, one of the older officers, wanted to know. I told him that almost every police officer I know in the United States has the same question. I tried to convince him, and the rest of them, that most defendants who get to a trial in court, with a jury (though Afghanistan doesn’t have juries), are convicted and they usually don’t say a word. I was trying to convince them that evidence other than a confession is valuable, and that good, solid police work gathers and preserves evidence so that there is no room for reasonable doubt when an accused person is guilty. I also told them that being a voice for the victim is an honor that I could see they all took seriously. I could tell, though, that my answer had not mollified everyone in the room – but I think they will have to think about it.

After we talked for a while, I asked if I could ask them a question. They assented, so I told them that I had written about them several times in my blog and how I enjoyed coming to talk to them and to answer their questions. I told them that one of my readers had asked whether I cover my head when I come to their class, and I realized that I had not. I wanted to know if that offended them, and that if it did, I was very sorry, because I did not want to offend them. They chuckled and one of them said that he hadn’t even noticed that my head wasn’t covered, that what I wore wasn’t important to them. What I say is important.

I wish I had known that before I packed to come here. I would have brought more of my favorite clothes instead of trying to bring things that I thought would be appropriate.

The day ended with a visit from some people from the Consulate. We meet once a week and discuss the progress of each of our programs and projects. I so enjoy those meetings and hearing about what is happening on the other side of the city.

Busier days are better. I felt better at the end of this day, but my mood has been so that I haven’t forced myself to go to the gym. So that stops today. Tomorrow, I start back in, forgetting these two days off, and don’t let myself fall into the trap of feeling bad and allowing myself to cheat on the necessities of life – exercise (yuck). Nina, if you read this, I don’t want to hear any self-righteous chuckling.

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment