Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Excitement in the house

Today, our daughter found out that after frst being denied admittance to her dream graduate school, her appeal was accepted. She will be attending the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) in the fall. This is great news for her - and for me. She is such a talented artist and writer! I want her to use her talent for her life's work, and having a master's degree in Arts Administration will help her stay in the arts.

Another benefit of her schooling is that Savannah is a great place to visit. I will be so excited to go visit her, especially in winter! We went to Savannah a couple of times before she graduated from high school, because she was accepted at SCAD for undergraduate work. Although we loved the town and its proximity to the beach and the food, she decided to get a liberal arts education at Hendrix instead, and then get a graduate degree in the field she wanted to pursue.

And so there she will be - farther away from home than she has ever been for an extended period of time, except for an 8-week period she spent in Italy in the summer of 2009. I don't know if I will be able to take it. I will miss her like crazy. This parenting thing is very difficult. I wouldn't change it, but being a mother really is like letting my heart walk around outside my body.

I am so proud of her, and admire her sense of self and her talent. Were I to have had those abilities when I was but 22! Go, Emily!

No comments:

Post a Comment