Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bridesmaids and Hangovers

A couple of years ago, Max and I decided to see "The Hangover." I wasn't sure whether I really liked it, but I thought the script was very well written and intriguing, and I thought, sorry guys, that it supported the idea that most men are pretty much focused on one or two things, and those are not responsiblity and steadfastness.

When we saw the trailers for "Bridesmaids," we decided to see it, thinking that it would be the female version of "The Hangover," and because my husband really likes "Molly," of "Mike and Molly" fame, who is one of the bridesmaids. Part of the movie was girls behaving badly, but that part was small. Most of the movie centered around how women navigate through their days, needing friends, fighting against failure, trying to find a place in the world, and ignoring nice guys in favor of men who are more exciting and daring. I was glad to have gone to the movie, and glad that it was its own story rather than a girls' "Hangover." Its lessons were thought-provoking and interesting instead of simply silly and funny.

And then we went to see the second "Hangover." I was not particularly disappointed because I knew that it would not be as intriguingly written as the first one; however, I did enjoy the expanded role of the Asian drug dealer. I didn't enjoy the expanded role of "Alan." What had made him so funny in the first movie was his ability to succinctly say something totally stupid at the wrong time. He talked too much in this sequel. This incarnation also had a higher "gross" factor, and certainly a higher raunchy factor. What else could you expect from a movie that has a monkey playing more than a bit part?

One thing I must add: I have foamed at the mouth for years about films' gratuitous showing of female breasts. I get irritated when women are asked to disrobe in order to add something of a sexual nature to a film, especially when men's genitals are never exposed for the same reason. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," however, did have male frontal nudity, as did "The Crying Game." My husband asked me, after we left the "Hangover" theater, whether I was happy now, because the movie did contain male frontal nudity. Nope, I'm not happy. The shots were in no way designed to make men sexual objects. They were there simply to add some fun to the works. And they did.

People who like to go to movies can take in both these films this summer. They will enjoy one two-hour break from reality, and one two-hour, somewhat whimsical but enlightening visit to women's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment