Thursday, March 15, 2012

The World Looks Good Today

Very little feels better than preparing for spring break. Preparing means getting ready to have at least a few days without obligations, some days that may be spent lazily reading books or even guiltily watching old re-runs on television, and some time that belongs to no one but myself.

My favorite day of spring break is the day before it begins. This day brings with it the promise of what is to come, the excitement of anticipation, and the success of a stretch of days that have not yet occurred. My next favorite, of course, is the day it actually does begin, when the anticipation and promise are still palpable.

Spring break becomes not so much fun when I remember that I have to go to the doctor, or to the bank, or anywhere else for that matter, because when I remember those things, my time then becomes obligated, and although I don't have to work at school things, I have to do something. Something or someone else owns me for a portion of the time that should be mine and mine alone!!!

So this year, I have divided my spring break into two or three sections, the last one being taking off with old friends to see Emily in a city that offers quite a bit more fun than does this one. I will take one day, maybe two, to do obligations: go to the doctor, finish up some law work, and (eegad) clean the house. The rest of the time, I will simply sleep late, read books, and sit out in the sun or do yard work with the sun shining on me. I hope the sun is shining.

And you guessed it - today is the day before spring break begins, and I am wildly anticipatory about what the next ten days have in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment