Thursday, January 20, 2011

SNOW DAY!!!

Last night when I went to bed, the classes I teach on Tuesdays and Thursdays were meeting. "In Session," the posting proclaimed. "In Session." Immediately, I began worrying about how I was going to get to the College by 9:30. Since Emily's car was totaled by a thankfully-insured driver, we have been getting by with one car here and one car there. I don't want to consider getting another car until she graduates and lands somewhere so we know what kind of car she will need. New York, no car. Savannah, small car. Little Rock, mid-size car. You get the picture.

Anyway, Max and I have his car, which is the cutest little sports car, but it is worthless in snow. And the reason I was worrying about how I was going to get to the College was that the snow was, by the time I went to bed, about six inches deep. And the snow was still coming.

When I woke up, however, the snow had stopped, was resting in the cold, and the web site triumphantly exclaimed, "Canceled!" Except I think that the "Canceled" was incorrected spelled "Cancelled." I can't remember because I jumped about 10 feet in the air as I read the heavenly word.

So today will be a snow day for me. Unlike when I was in elementary school, though, when snow days were few and far between, and when ice days required that I unsuccessfully wheedle my father to let me sled down Pentecost Hill with "everybody else," this day will give me one more day to get caught up: to successfully, I hope, wheedle a mortgage company to postpone a foreclosure, to tweak my syllabi, to list my new students on my Outlook Contacts page, to balance my estates' checkbooks, to write seriously overdue thank-you notes, and maybe to take a nap. Oh, and I WILL watch "The Closer," which TNT has most graciously decided to re-run at a time that is not usually available to me - thank you, thank you so much.

Then tomorrow, I will be relaxed and cheerful as I get ready for the wine pairing tasting I am preparing for Saturday night.

These will be two good days.

No comments:

Post a Comment