Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Day of Rest

I enjoy our interim pastor so much. I often think that Alex is God's gift to our little congregation, the congregation that has been buffeted by so many hard winds over the past ten years. For today, he selected a hymn, a spiritual, that everyone knows but that no one has really sung in a church service: "Amen." The problem with the song is that it is divided into two parts: One part sings, obviously, "Amen," and the other part sings the verses. We had no idea how to break up the song so that it made sense and so that everyone would sing, but we finally got the idea to break the congregation in half, one side singing the "Amen" and the other side singing the verses. I think it went rather well, and even more important, we had a good time while singing it. Can you imagine? A group of Presbyterians having fun when singing!!!

I was lucky enough to have Sandy play the hymns with me, which takes some of the pressure off my feet (organ foot pedals, you know). She and I have a habit of dressing, without consultation, alike. Today, we wore gray trousers and pink sweaters. We accessorized with silver jewelry. Alex saw us before the service, as we were discussing how to play "Amen," and he suggested that Phil, the music leader, begin each hymn by saying, "A-one-a, a-two-a, hit it, Girls!" As I write it, I guess you had to be there, but such a jovial and joyful atmosphere is energizing and uplifting, exactly what I needed for today.

After feasting on leftover New Year's Day bounty, when the Chiefs began their hideous demise, I took a nap in our sun-filled bedroom, while the found Fluffy snored from her favorite chair. Now, I watch Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet in "Sense and Sensibilities" and wait for the fire to take hold. I can't remember when I experienced such a lovely afternoon - an afternoon of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment