Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Mothers and Daughters

I remember Emily's being young and our going shopping. She, even then being visual, gawked and dawdled, and I would say, "You are like my little duckling, following along in mother's footsteps!" Now, she is much too big to be considered a duckling, except that she is my duckling, and will always be.

After Max left Savannah for home and Susie and Dick went exploring on the way to Hilton Head, Emily and I had much fun getting manis and pedis and talking about life after school and in her first job, whatever that would be. We also walked up and down Broughton Street, looking in windows, making small talk, and for me, spending more than a few minutes remembering what it was like to have a child who came out remarkable and has stayed that way.

We tried to make reservations for a restaurant we had tried when we went to Savannah last August - Cha Bella - which is a really good locovore restaurant, but it was having a special chef's dinner and had no seating available. We decided to try another locovore, Local Eleven Ten, which is in an interesting location - kind of off the beaten path and in a neighborhood, but still close to downtown. The decor is clean, contemporary, and spare, and looks like something I would have expected Emily to design had she followed her first job inclination and been an interior architect (too much math!). The menu is seasonal and has unusual items - for instance, we had Brussels sprouts. I had a scallop that was not quite done enough for me, but the kitchen was kind enough to put it back in the pan for a few seconds and not make fun of me for asking. As an aside, it is quite an eye-opener to eat dinner with one's child and have her know just as much, if not more, about wine that the parent!

After our dinner, we went to Circa once again to meet Emily's friends Jeff and Angie for a cocktail. They were still at work, so we waited for them, and then, after some really good Scotch, headed back to the apartment.

The next day was to be my last in Savannah for a while, and I dreaded leaving. I probably am being silly about not iiking being so far away from my child, but I think that my proximity with my mother and my sister - forever, mind you, except for a couple of years when they lived in California - has spoiled me about what kind of contact is acceptable for parents and childre (perhaps Emily is fine with living so far away!), especially if the relationship is comfortable and enjoyable. Anyway, we just whiled away the day, running a few errands, and finally the time came for Emily to get to work as a bartender at A.Lure. She got ready - always running late - and I eventually followed her after I packed for the next day's trip.

I spent the next four or so hours seated at the A.Lure bar watching my little girl be a big bartender, making small talk with the patrons, and generally doing a really good job. After a while, Susie and Dick came to join me, and we drank a glass of wine together. They were leaving the next day as well, and we wanted to spend a little more time together.

Eventually, it was time for me to go, and time for them to go, and time for me to prepare to leave Savannah once again. I didn't look forward to my trip home, but I looked forward to being home, even as much as I had enjoyed leaving it some eight days before. Luckily, Susie took some great pictures and I attach some of them here.

My next travel blog entries will be forthcoming, but somewhat different. Stay tuned.
,

No comments:

Post a Comment