Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving in June

We are in Savannah for Thanksgiving, except nothing screams, "Thanksgiving!" Yesterday, Max and I strolled the streets of Savannah enjoying 80-degree weather and beautiful sunshine. We basked in the sun's warmth outside the new SCAD art museum and gallery on brand new sod looking at what looked like blow-up white club chairs on the lawn. I even perspired a bit as I waited for Max to get Emily's oil changed.

The grocery stores, however, made me think that something special is up. We went to the Kroger store, about five miles from Emily's apartment, and the aisles were jam packed full of people buying what was on sale - baking ingredients, stuffing mix, and dried, candied fruits. I got the turkey breast at Sam's Club, which was also crowded. It looked, however, as if most people were buying Christmas gifts. Like Nordstrom's, I like to celebrate one holiday at a time.

I think I will watch the Thanksgiving parade on television tomorrow morning, and then I hope we can head for the beach for part of the day. Because I am cooking for only three people, it won't be that elaborate nor will it take that long. I figure that as long as I am in Savannah, the beach can become a part of our Thanksgiving celebration. Why not? But don't worry. I will watch Miracle on 34th Street. Some things simply cannot change.

No comments:

Post a Comment