Monday, March 28, 2011

Oxford is a great place to visit!

A week or so ago, I struck out for Oxford, Mississippi, to see what the town was like. Home to Ole Miss and Rowan Oak, which is William Faulkner's home, Oxford is a delightful town around the same size as Sedalia, but with a thriving downtown square that hosts several restaurants, local shops, and a two-story bookstore that sponsors book signings and author lectures. In fact, the weekend I visited, the sole surviving Faulkner was scheduled to talk about her new book, which she had written about the family and the lovely old home that is Rowan Oak. I will detail my visit to Oxford more thoroughly in my article for 417 Magazine, which will be published later this year, but suffice to say here that I stayed in a lovely hotel, ate lots of good food, shopped 'til I dropped, saw the building where James Meredith was housed at the University of Mississippi when the Universtiy was integrated, and enjoyed the gentility of southern manners for an entire weekend. Go there. You'll have a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment