Friday, June 4, 2010

Stranger than truth!

We had a cookout on Monday afternoon, a good, old-fashioned picnic in the back yard to celebrate the holiday. We invited long-time friends and new friends, and thought the mix would be good.

When I introduced the new friends to the old friends, they discovered that they had a last name in common - obviously not theirs, but some relatives'. What happened next was just plain weird.

Pat asked Barry to spell his last name: "Guier." Pat wanted to know where Barry's family hailed from, because her husband, Wendy's father, was related to some Guiers in Kentucky. Well, Barry's family is from Kentucky. It turned out that Barry's relatives are Wendy's relatives. They share a great-uncle Quint (I think it's "Quint") and some other distant great-uncles and cousins. We figured out that Barry and Wendy may be third cousins or first cousins thrice removed, or something equally as confusing.

Barry's father is planning a reunion of Guier kinfolk, and so now my friends will be meeting at a family get-together, with relatives they knew nothing about, all who live within 40 miles of each other.

I wonder who I'm related to? I hope I can find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment